Re: Hardware IDE ATA Raid 1 support in Linux Debian - Linux disapointment

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Pedro Ruivo (TRQV-DSI) wrote:

>         I've bought a Highpoint RocketRaid 100 card in order to have a fault
> tolerant system. Unfortunately i didn't checked if it was supported under
> Debian Linux.

suppsedly, supported hw raid is listed here
	- if its not listed...  you can test it out and submit your
	comments/additions

	http://www.linux-ide.org/chipsets.html

	- or google search for that product and see what others have said

>         It turns out that although i could use it with RedHat, Suse,
> Turbo,...,Linux they don't provide drivers for debian, they do provide a
> "open source driver".

if a driver exists one of the distro... its usually portable to another
distro..

software raid setup ...
	http://www.1U-Raid5.net/HowTo/SW-Raid-HOWTO.txt

== my raid test ...

	- unplug /dev/hda ... and try to boot ( into degraded mode )
	- unplug /dev/hdc ... and try to boot

		- it should still boot w/o any intervention/typing

	- copy a 2TB file to the raid disks ... unplug the disk to
	simulate a crash ...
		- swap in a new disks ... see if it resyncs
		and that 2TB file is same as the original one

	- if you lsot data or can't boot... it's not a properly
	configured "raid"

c ya
alvin