Re: Hardware IDE ATA Raid 1 support in Linux Debian - Linux disapointment

On 14 Feb 03 15:39:11 GMT, Pedro Ruivo TRQV-DSI <PRuivo@tranquilidade-vida.pt> wrote:

>         I have to say one other thing, wich is the disappointmento with linux
> in this concern, shouldn't there be "a Linux Driver" ?
> 	  I find drivers for Red Hat, Suse, Turbo, ... Linux but not for
> Debian and specially not a "for Linux" Driver.

Save your disappointment for the hardware manufacturer. They are the
ones making you jump through hoops, not "Linux". GNU/Linux is a *free*
operating system and it barely tolerates non-free binary-only drivers.
Even so it is clearly possible to write such drivers in ways that don't
tie them to specific kernel versions and specific distributions; the
NVidia video card drivers are an example. If the manufacturer chooses
not to properly support its products under GNU/Linux then you are
better taking your business to a manufacturer that does.

--
Frank Copeland
Home Page: <URL:http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fjc/>