Re: ALSA sound setup

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 01:38:43PM -0600, Larry Holish wrote:

> Sorry, I guess I should have started with this. I'm running testing
> with a SB Live 5.1. Here's the relevant packages I have installed:
<SNIP>
> Looks like you are running a older driver (0.9.0beta10) than me, so
> 'snd-card-emu10k1' is correct. The name change starts in 0.9.0beta11.
>
> And just for reference, my /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9 :
<SNIP>
> This is straight from the alsa-project.org webpage referenced earlier
> in this thread. I'm not sure of the answer to the adc frame size
> question, but try commenting out that line and see if you have any
> luck.

Woo-hoo! We have actual progress!  I've re(re(re))named snd-emu10k1 to
snd-card-emu10k1, *commented out ALL the 'options'*, updated-modules,
rebooted, and *then* ran the snddevices script, and now amixer
runs.  I don't know how to use amixer yet, so I unmuted the main volume
with Gnome's mixer applet, fed a couple of my old WAVs (from the windows
partition) into aplay, and it made noise.  Whee!
The bad news is that it did, very literally, make noise.  Garbled,
fuzzy, unrecognizable noise.  Now, that could be a not-really-compatible
wav file, perhaps, or just settings to tweak in mixer or in .asoundrc...
For diagnostic purposes, how about pointing me to a WAV file that you
*know* is good?

And Larry,  Thankyouthankyouthankyou.
Everybody please disregard my (very recent) last post on this thread.
It went out *just* before I received the post that got me sorted out.
Now I'll be off learning about the mixers and the options for a while...

	Thanks again,
	-Chris