Re: cron solved

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 10:25:31PM +0100, Ina&Frank wrote:

>Thanx for your explaination. I read the man 5 cron manpage (I ran man 5
>cron) and understood that you have to use (better to do so) the -u option.
>
>My problem was that I want to 'load' and 'unload' a firewall rule
>periodically. iptables runs (kernel 2.4.18) under root, so I had to edit
>crontab for root.

While I said "user", in this context I don't think there is any
difference between root and a regular user. I just used crontab -e as
root, and crontab -eu to edit a user's crontab, both no prob. Yes, if
you're modifying iptable rules, you need root to do that but I don't
think it matters if you edit /etc/crontab or use crontab -e as root.

I guess I don't understand the problem you had... what was the url of
the solution?

Well documentation is usually the last item to come of age, but I
have yet to see a Linux distro with better documentation. Though
just yesterday when I was compiling mplayer source, I got
stuck it said I needed GTK first. Any idea how many gtk debs
there are? A lot, but the easy answer was on a web site
http://eimbox.org/~eim/stuff/development/debdev/mplayer/

Cheers,
// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org