Re: pronto users ???

Vineet Kumar wrote:

> * Michael D. Schleif (mds@helices.org) [030213 14:16]:
> >
> > Any pronto mua users here?
>
> You could grep this mailbox for User-Agent headers...
>
> > As you may or may not know, I am working on moving a 2GB, ~1000000
> > message, ~500 folder, ~400 messages per day mail archive to debian
> > woody.  Currently, this is used by netscrape mail in an convenient and
> > elaborate hierarchy of folders sometimes (10) or more levels deep.
> >
> > I'm testing mutt; but, I have not found as convenient a solution to the
> > many nested subfolder syndrome, especially regarding the navigation of
> > folders from within mutt.
> >
> > Further investigation shows that pronto supports nested subfolders; but,
> > <http://www.muhri.net/pronto/> has not revealed much detail.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here; I believe mutt "supports nested
> subfolders" as well.  What are you trying to do?  I guess I don't
> understand what the "many nested subfolder /syndrome/" is.

I've spent two (2) days studying and querying mutt-users and got nowhere
equally as fast as my previous mutt-specific queries here on
debian-user.

Yes, mutt supports nested Maildir and subfolders; but, it is *NOT*
conveniently done!  The only way that I have found to navigate nested
Maildir subfolders is to add each and everyone to <mailboxes>, whereupon
<c><TAB><TAB><TAB><TAB> gives me a long, linear screenful of >500 (!)
mailboxes from which to select.

Mozilla and netscrape offer convenient navigation of nested subfolder
hierarchies several dozen levels deep -- albeit _not_ Maildir -- and
searching mail down to the bottom of any hierarchical branch is decent.

Some pronto errata suggests that these issues may be overcome; and, they
intimate support for a sql database backend!  That would be ideal, in my
situation, to archive my older mail in a real searchable database . . .

> As a side note, I can recommend that the most convenient way I've found
> to transport mail from proprietary stores (outlook, etc.) to righteous
> ones is via an IMAP server.  Should you decide to just move everything
> to the IMAP store and keep it there, this gives you the advantage of
> being able to access the same data and folder hierarchy from whatever
> MUA you feel like at any time (and from whatever site, no less).

I am not worried about converting nor transporting my legacy archives.
In fact, I have a running fetchmail|procmail|mutt pilot running now.

I need to make a change as quickly as possible, because the legacy mail
resides on an nt fat partition -- and I am out of space.

Such a change needs to be done as wisely as possible.  I have
procrastinated this move for more than a year, because I have not found
an acceptable way to manage the legacy archives.

What do you think?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .