Re: SoundChip Realtek ALC650 [Solved]

Hi again,

I admit I did not even try the RealTek website for the drivers. It is so rare
to find Free drivers on its manufacturer web site that I did not even try.

Well, so as far as I understood, in fact they are just using the drivers
provided in the ALSA project. So I guess the drivers are free.
In order to make my soundcard work, I just followed the instructions they
gave. Here they are :

Step 1. You must have full configured source for the Linux kernel.

Step 2. Uncompress the source code
        a. tar xfvj alcsound.tar.bz2
	or	b. unbzip2 alcsound.tar.bz2
			tar -xvf alcsound.tar

Step 3. Turn on sound support (soundcore module)

Step 4. Complied source code
	a. ./Configure
	b. make install
	c. ./snddevices

Step 5. Edit your /etc/modules.conf or conf.modules depending on the
Distribution
 	(Please refer to the attached modules.conf)

Step 6. reboot your machine

About the attached module.conf file, I provide a copy here for more
convenience :

#alias sound-slot-0 via82cxxx_audio	//remark this line, this is default audio
driver

#====== added those lines =============
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd major=116 cards_limit=1

#--- Intel 8x0  and SiS 7012 ----------
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0 id="ICH"
#--- Via8233  and Via686A/B -------------------
#alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
#options snd-via82xx index=0 id="VIA"
#------------------------------------------------------

alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
#=================================
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null
2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1
|| :

Please not that all mixer channels are muted by default. You must use a native
or OSS mixer program to unmute appropriate channels.

And it is now working fine :-). Well it is not working with KDE yet but I
guess it is because I have not installed the arts-Alsa drivers so it should
be working soon.

Hope this will help other people in my case.