Re: X windows w/ no screen error

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 11:03:38AM -0700, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 11:06:50AM -0500, iggy wrote:
> > I tried running it several times.
> > I think I know what my error is.
> > I'm probably inputing the
> > incorrect address for the
> > video card.  lspci -vv states
> > that the address of the video
> > card is 01:00.0
> > /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 wants
> > the address in the form
> > "PCI:##:##:##"
> > what is the trick here?Perhaps
> > if I can input the correct addy
> > in the correct form, this
> > mess will clear up. Thanks
> > again.  -iggy
>
> Just comment out the PCI line, unless you have multiple cards you won't
> need it (and actually in a dual-card system i haven't always used it).
> The line is largely useless unless maybe you had two of the same cards,
> or X couldn't tell the difference between PCI cards for some reason.

One other scenario where you need the BusID directive is when you have
a card that you happen to know is compatible with your version of X,
but X does not recognize the PCI id.  (I have such a card here).  In
this case you have to tell X where to find the card (BusID) and the
lie about the card type (ChipID).

To the OP:  the address directive needs to look like

  BusID       "PCI:01:00:0"

Just turn the dot in the lspci output into a colon.

  Good judgement comes from experience.
  Experience comes from bad judgement.
          -- Unattributed