Re: More detailed post ...

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 12:17:25PM +0100, Yven Johannes Leist wrote:
> On Monday 10 February 2003 10:28, martin f krafft wrote:
> > also sprach Daniel Barclay <dsb@smart.net> [2003.02.10.0354 +0100]:
> > >
> > > Geez.  Pay attention.
> > >
> > > You suggested that I use mutt.
> > >
> > > How would that _not_ drop whatever features my current (non-mutt) MUA
> > > has?
> > >
> > > (In general, the suggestion "use modern mailer" isn't all that helpful
> > > when the members of that set aren't full replacements for currently
> > > used software.)
> >
> > I am tired of this thread!
> >
> > Think for yourself and don't reply: what feature does netscape have
> > that mutt doesn't? and if it's the GUI, then look at evolution,
> > sylpheed, or mulberry!
>
> You've obviously never had to abandon a program you used for a very long time
> and that you've taken a strong liking to for whatever reasons, or your
> mentality is quite different from mine. I quite often find even simple
> upgrades from one major version to the other annoying because things I got
> used to have changed and I have to adapt to them.
> Note that I do not think that "my mailer doesn't support it so I do not have
> to go to the trouble of changing the recipients by hand" is a good argument
> and Daniel obviously realized that, but just saying "hey, it's old anyway so
> just switch to something newer" seems at least slightly out of touch with
> reality to me...

Sometimes change is good.  I was quite proficient with DOS
(Dr-DOS/Novell DOS + 4dos, Win 3.11) but made the switch to linux.
Why?  Because it was better.  It was 1994 so I installed Slackware.
Later, I moved to Debian?  Why?  Because it was better.

Ever since I encountered pine at college (on SCO; yuck) I used that as
my email client.  However, in 1998 I switched to mutt.  Was it easy?
No.  Am I glad I did it?  Yes! (because ... it was better :-)

Rejecting change simply because it causes some pain is short sighted.

I could go on and on, using examples like network protocols, but I
think you get the point.

  I must despise the world which does not know that music is a
  higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.
          -- Ludwig van Beethoven