Access denied on imapd - but not ftp or ssh is allowed

The problem I've got is on a Debian 3.0 r1 (stable) box, where I can't
collect my imap mail.

Looking in /var/log/auth.log I can see a line:
Feb 11 13:28:44 orion imapd[1979]: Login disabled user=andrew auth=andrew
host=<MyHostname [<MyIP>]

Why is my login disabled and how can I enable it?
I can ssh in, and I can ftp in - so my account isn't locked or disabled.
Both ftp and imapd are controlled by xinetd, and there aren't any special
config changes to either the ftp or imap daemons.

According to dpkg -l | grep imap, I'm using:

ii  uw-imapd       2002b.debian-4 remote mail folder access server

I've searched the 'net and the evidence points to misconfigured
authentication mechanism.

Has anyone else come across this problem - and how did they fix it

TIA,

Andrew