Re: maildir vs. mbox vs. mh ???

* Michael D. Schleif (mds@helices.org) [030210 15:03]:

> Vineet Kumar wrote:
> >
> > * Michael D. Schleif (mds@helices.org) [030210 12:24]:
> > > Under netscrape I have directory hierarchies such as:
> > >
> > >       Lists
> > >         |__debian
> > >         |     |__debian-users
> > >         |     |__debian-devel
> > >         |__tomcat-users
> > >
> > > With many lists and so many old mails, a flat list of _all_ Maildirs
> > > will quickly become difficult to navigate . . .
> > >
> > > How can this be done with Maildir?
> >
> > Just the same.  Wherever you have an mbox file, replace it with a
> > maildir directory.

Well, it looks like I got a little carried away in my previous message.
The above statment is true: it's easy enough to just have folders which
contain maildirs or folders and maildirs which contain messages.

> > You can even go one better by having maildirs which themselves contain
> > subdirectories, something that is impossible with mbox files.
> >
> > For example, you could have a maildir called work which contains
> > unsorted messages, and also sub-maildirs for each client.  Each client
> > maildir can contain messages as well as yet more sub-maildirs for e.g.
> > certain projects, time periods, contacts, etc.

I was misleading (misled?) in saying that you can set up maildirs which
contain messages and maildirs.  This is possible with a slightly hacky
extension to maildir which uses '.' as a hierarchy separator.  So the
example I gave here would look like a big, ugly, flat list:

INBOX/
INBOX/.work
INBOX/.work.client1
INBOX/.work.client2
INBOX/.work.client2.2003-10

So this only gets nice when you use an access method that recognizes the
dots as hierarchy separators and provides you with a nice hierarchical
presentation, such as courier IMAP and Mozilla mail, for example.

I don't think mutt even really nails the hierarchical presentation bit
when used as an IMAP client.  I don't even know that mutt supports IMAP
folder browsing and subscribing, though in fairness I haven't used it
extensively.

Don't give up on it yet, though; it does support the hierarchy you
currently use, with Maildirs in place of mboxes.

good times,
Vineet

--
http://www.doorstop.net/