Re: maildir vs. mbox vs. mh ???

Michael D. Schleif, 2003-Feb-09 15:05 -0600:

> Considering moving from mbox to maildir a very large (~2GB, ~1000000
> messages) email archive.  Mostly concerned with the integrity of
> receiving messages intact.
>
> Obviously, this will impact performance and inodes used.
>
> Given this brief overview, what ought I to consider?
>
> Are there other options to consider?
>
> How else might I handle this data?
>
> What do you think?

I've not used mh mail boxes before, only maildir and mbox.  I use
maildir for my active mailboxes for it's ability to keep messages from
getting messed up on delivery (sorry for the non-tech reason).  For
mail boxes that I use for archive and are non-active, I use mbox for
it's ease in backing up.

Performance-wise, I don't think you'll notice a difference in loading
the mail box on a modern machine.  On older, slower machines, you
might see the mbox loading faster than the maildir folders.

If I had an archive mail box that size, I'd leave it as an mbox so I
can back it up easier since it's a single file as opposed to a
directory.

my 2 cents,
jc

--