Re: More detailed post ...

Nick Hastings wrote:

>* Fred Smith <fps@dividedsky.net> [030210 16:41]:

<snip>

>> netscape/mozilla does this and evolution does this.  the
>> kind people at ximian were good enough to add a "reply to list" function
>> to evolution to get around _broken_ mailing list software (like whatever
>> is running lists.debian.org) but this is not standard.
>
>Hmm, for the list software/configuration to be "broken" it must be
>behaving in a manner different to a well defined standard. I must plead
>ignorance in this matter; what standards exist for list server
>behaviour?

My (admittedly poor) understanding from the Mutt and/or Exim list(s) is
that here is no "Standard" but there is a growing consensus that the use
of the "Mail-Followup-To: " header is the better solution.

Again, my understanding is that this header should be provided by the
poster's MUA as appropriate to the list(s) being posted to.

The Apache users list adds a reply-to header, leading to double postings
where the OP has set the same header.

On the Exim, Mutt, and Debian lists, it appears that no reply-to:
headers are added by the mail-list and that MUAs are expected to do the
Right Thing(tm).  The Mail-Followup-To:  header is most often set by
Mutt users.

Where MUAs do not have a List Reply function, it is up to the user to be
polite, and make the necessary edits when replying.

>> if you are going to be complaining to anyone, you should complain to
>> whomever runs lists.debian.org, not to the people who accidentially (or
>> unknowingly) send a "reply to all" whenever they post to this list.

As others have said, the list does it right.  It is up to those without
properly functioning MUAs (including myself) to adhere to best practice.

>Sure we all sometimes (at least I do) screw up and CC the poster when
>we shouldn't or, reply off instead of onlist but this occurs only
>occasionally. If the majority of us can follow the protocol, why
>should lists.debian.org change their setup because a few people are
>lazy with their email?

True, true.
--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net