Re: shuttle disaster

Ron Johnson wrote:

Ya know, I've always wondered why Hitler declared war on us.  We never
did anything to him.  He was fighting the Godless Communists, and a
significant minority of Americans were anti-Semitic...  The usual reason
is that we declared war on Japan.  Well, heck.  He ignored treaties
before.  Why not ignore the Axis Treaty?  It would have kept us out of
the war long enough to starve England.  Then he could have easily
conquored it.

Easily? How? They couldn't manage to invade even when Britain was in the weak state that it was in the fall of 1940, never mind later. The Battle of the Atlantic was basically won in 1942 by the British and the Canadians before there was any significant American contribution to the war, and it is that battle that Germany would have had to have won to have been able to "starve England".

The Americans liberated Continental Europe. But they did not save Britain. Arguably Canada did, but not the United States.

--
David P. James
4th Year Economics Student

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV