Re: shuttle disaster

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 00:14, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:24:41PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> [snip]
> > businesses behaving badly:  Shape up or we take it.
>
> Things must be different up in Oregon, because, here, for instance, even
> low-income people will go into debt to get their kids out of the public
> schools, and a 1/2 dozen policemen in the pennitentiary, one on death
> row, for killing the woman who was to testify against him, and a
> policewoman on death row for killing someone who double-crossed her
> while she was guarding a drug ring while on duty.  (Note that this is
> in a small city, not New York, w/ it's 50,000 police!)

You seem to be suggesting that there's a lot of corruption in your
society (and I would agree. I live close enough to La. to know). what
makes you think privitizing things would make any difference? Why?

> And don't get me started about the streets!  A national survey shows
> that New Orleans has the 2nd worst streets in the country.

Yes, the south is known for it's urban sprawl and poor planning. Where I
live, the central city has terrible streets and crumbling infrastructure
while my tax dollars get spent to provide new roads and services in far
outlying areas that I'll probably never visit in my entire life (BTW,
N.O. streets are, IMO, better than the ones where I live).