Re: shuttle disaster

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 00:14, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:24:41PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
[snip]
> I think government pretty much mops up after the services that aren't
> "sexy" enough for private enterprise to think of it (rapid transit,
> police, fire) and should take control of services everybody needs

Ever heard of private security guards?  It must be sexy enough for
someone...

> (schools, health care, utilities) that private enterprise has abused
> (price-fixing, racketeering, etc).  That should be the new threat to

You haven't seen New Orleans City Hall, have you?  It is chock full of
Past Masters at corruption, stupidity, laziness, etc.

> businesses behaving badly:  Shape up or we take it.

Things must be different up in Oregon, because, here, for instance, even
low-income people will go into debt to get their kids out of the public
schools, and a 1/2 dozen policemen in the pennitentiary, one on death
row, for killing the woman who was to testify against him, and a
policewoman on death row for killing someone who double-crossed her
while she was guarding a drug ring while on duty.  (Note that this is
in a small city, not New York, w/ it's 50,000 police!)

And don't get me started about the streets!  A national survey shows
that New Orleans has the 2nd worst streets in the country.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ ron.l.johnson |
| "For me and windows it became a matter of easy to start    |
|  with, and becoming increasingly difficult to be produc-   |
|  tive as time went on, and if something went wrong very    |
|  difficult to fix, compared to linux's large over head     |
|  setting up and learning the system with ease of use and   |
|  the increase in productivity becoming larger the longer I |
|  use the system."                                          |
|   Rohan Nicholls , The Netherlands                         |