Re: c program chart, scheme, plan

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 01:55:03PM +0300, Andrei Smirnov wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 04:16:29PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 15:28, Andrei Smirnov wrote:
>  > And, in general, what tools, editors, other things you are using
> > > to facilitate c (or other languages) development ?
> >
> > vim, make, automake, autoconf, cvs, etc...
> >
> it is a must, i asking about some other helper things, fo r example :
> i want to find differences between  2 functions:
> it is preprocess>grep>diff, but doing it in console is rather time
> consuming, while there must be sets of such scripts already existing,
> maybe sets vim plugins in this case, or emacs plugins ...
>
> so it all looks like this - there is a center app (vim or emacs or even
> maybe jed?), and all others are accessible from it with keystrokes
> right?

Well, I don't know about vim or jed, but emacs can sure do this.  You
really, really want to use version control for this sort of thing.  It
will make your development sooooooo much easier.  CVS is the most
popular Free one at the moment, but I've recently started using
Subversion, which is basically a rewrite of CVS with some very cool new
features.  It's only at like version 0.17 now, but the subversion team
have been self-hosting for over a year now and have not lost a byte of
data...Even if you don't feel safe enough using it now, you can just use
CVS and convert over using cvs2svn at a later date.

-rob