Re: Vim error

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 09:21:55PM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
| I am using vim from unstable on my sarge (mainly) system. Since this
| evening, I am not able to get the help command to work from within vim.
|
| When I give the command help in vim, I get the following message:
|
|   "help.txt.gz" [readonly][noeol] 8L, 3051C
|   E434: Can't find tag pattern
|   Hit ENTER or type command to continue
|
| After that, the help.txt.gz file is opened and I see non-readable
| characters on my screen. I purged and reinstalled vim, still the same
| problem. I also moved my .vim/ out of the way in vain.
|
| Can someone suggest a solution for this?

I suspect that the automatic gzip handling isn't working.  The last
time I saw this happen it was the result of the system-wide
configuration from the vim 5.x packages lingering around and causing a
conflict with some of the new features in vim 6.0.  Look in /etc/vimrc
(or /etc/vim/vimrc) and remove any autcommands relating to gzip.  They
are no longer needed, and will cause a conflict.

HTH,
-D

--
Micros~1 :