Vim error

I am using vim from unstable on my sarge (mainly) system. Since this
evening, I am not able to get the help command to work from within vim.

When I give the command help in vim, I get the following message:

  "help.txt.gz" [readonly][noeol] 8L, 3051C
  E434: Can't find tag pattern
  Hit ENTER or type command to continue

After that, the help.txt.gz file is opened and I see non-readable
characters on my screen. I purged and reinstalled vim, still the same
problem. I also moved my .vim/ out of the way in vain.

Can someone suggest a solution for this?

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

Drop the vase and it will become a Ming of the past.
		-- The Adventurer