Re: partitioning hard drive & /usr is already 96% full

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 17:35, Hans Wilmer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 07:41:55AM -0900, Andy wrote:
> >

> > Question for the list:
> > What is the lists advice in managing my /usr partition
> > so it does not completetly fill up and cause problems in the future?
>
> Make it 2 GB as a minimum; that you'll need more than 4 GB is unlikely
> for quite some time.

Umm, I'm actually chasing around the limits of an 8 GB partition for
/usr, as I have pretty well all of Gnome and KDE on this system, as well
as a significant amount on /usr/src (at least the source of each of
three editions of kernels, that I reference with Lilo) and over a gig
without any real effort under /usr/local (a few games from Loki pads
that out quickly.)

/usr/share is a significant block now. When I first looked at it a few
years back, it was only a few MB at most, primarily the fortune files
and things like miscfiles (ISO codes, area codes, airport codes, etc.)
It is now over 2 GB here.

The consideration is simply how many things you plan to install, and how
complex of a system it will be. I have 2 GB as well for /opt, which is
normally substantively full, but much of what is there tends to be
software I'm testing, rather than regular things (such as Netscape 6 and
7, Phoenix, IBM WebSphere and DB2, etc.)

> But keep in mind that both 2 and 4 GB can get too small: My /usr
> partition is 4.3G and holds 2.0G, but besides I'm using an /opt
> partition to store games, staroffice and such. That makes for another
> 5.5G.
>
> For /, I've never needed more than 100 MB. You can do with 60M for it,
> if you want a tight setup.
>
> Plan to have your partitions no more than about 50% used, except when
> you have spare disks at hand or no choice. In case you need to copy
> some partition over to another, this will be very helpful, and
> partitions tend to fill up to more than 50% automagically anyway.
>
> In case you're low on disc space, try to keep those partitions small
> that will contain mostly static data, like /usr and /, to the benefit
> of others.
>
> Use 64M for /tmp at least, better 128. What you need for /var depends
> on the services using it --- make it at least 256M when you've no
> special needs.
>
> And don't forget to setup sufficient swap space :)
>

> GH
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org