Re: partitioning hard drive & /usr is already 96% full

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 07:41:55AM -0900, Andy wrote:

> Question for the list:
> What is the lists advice in managing my /usr partition
> so it does not completetly fill up and cause problems in the future?

Make it 2 GB as a minimum; that you'll need more than 4 GB is unlikely
for quite some time.

But keep in mind that both 2 and 4 GB can get too small: My /usr
partition is 4.3G and holds 2.0G, but besides I'm using an /opt
partition to store games, staroffice and such. That makes for another
5.5G.

For /, I've never needed more than 100 MB. You can do with 60M for it,
if you want a tight setup.

Plan to have your partitions no more than about 50% used, except when
you have spare disks at hand or no choice. In case you need to copy
some partition over to another, this will be very helpful, and
partitions tend to fill up to more than 50% automagically anyway.

In case you're low on disc space, try to keep those partitions small
that will contain mostly static data, like /usr and /, to the benefit
of others.

Use 64M for /tmp at least, better 128. What you need for /var depends
on the services using it --- make it at least 256M when you've no
special needs.

And don't forget to setup sufficient swap space :)

GH