Re: partitioning hard drive & /usr is already 96% full

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 01:39:58AM -0500, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:

> > > What is the lists advice in managing my /usr partition
> > > so it does not completetly fill up and cause problems in the future?
> >
> > Make it 2 GB as a minimum; that you'll need more than 4 GB is unlikely
> > for quite some time.
> >
> Umm, I'm actually chasing around the limits of an 8 GB partition for
> /usr, as I have pretty well all of Gnome and KDE on this system,

Uh, is that really so big? I'm using neither gnome, nor kde, but at
least some of both is installed as there are some applications like
kmix I occassionally use.

BTW, gnome doesn't seem to work very well, and I don't like kde. Maybe
I'm doing wrong with gome --- I can run the panel, for example, but
I'm not getting what the advantage of it should be. What is it about?
And how comes that it takes so much space on your hd?

> as well as a significant amount on /usr/src (at least the source of
> each of three editions of kernels, that I reference with Lilo)

Hm, I'm only keeping kernel sources on /usr/src. Any other sources
(except of things I've written myselfe) I put into an ~/inst directory
(currently 2.8G). That seems to make more sense, as /usr/src is not
writeable to normal users, and I've mounted /usr read-only
anyway. Besides, /usr/src is imho somewhat part of the
distribution/system and thereby doesn't feel to be an appropriate
place to store users' sources. This helps to keep /usr small.

> and over a gig without any real effort under /usr/local (a few games
> from Loki pads that out quickly.)

/usr/local is afair the default location the install programs from
loki suggest. I'm trying to keep /usr clean, thus I installed the
games under /opt. This had to do with distributing partitions across
several disks for better performace, too, but currently I've only two
disks in use, so there are not so many options to choose from.

> /usr/share is a significant block now. When I first looked at it a
> few years back, it was only a few MB at most, primarily the fortune
> files and things like miscfiles (ISO codes, area codes, airport
> codes, etc.)  It is now over 2 GB here.

840M 'only' --- though it's quite a lot when I imagine having to read
all of the 269M under /usr/share/doc ;)

> The consideration is simply how many things you plan to install, and how
> complex of a system it will be.

Exactly --- in particular, this makes it hard to give any
recommendation in general about how large partitions should
be. Whatever you do, at some time it's a good idea to change
partitioning, be it because of installing new disks or some partition
becoming too small.

How what about LVM? Can it make things easier? If you can, for
example, just throw in a new disk, create a partition on it and
somehow add the additional space to an existing partition, dealing
with running out of disk space would be easy.

GH