Re: knowledge

will trillich wrote:

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 07:52:23PM -0500, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
Knowledge can't be generated. Humans don't generate
knowledge, they acquire it. Didn't you get the hint, so clear
back then, that several human units would discover the same
facts at the same time in different parts of the planet? It
was a very clear hint, that as usual we blind units just
dismissed.

you must be talking about how three movies come out in the same
year and they're all about the same topic. ;)

this may be either semantics or vocabulary --

knowledge doesn't exist, per se -- there is no such thing. it's
an aspect of a mammalian mind. saying "it can't be generated"
sidesteps the nature of the subject.

WE percieve data, WE figure out it's relevant and how, at which
point it becomes information to us; when WE can (tho we may
choose not to) use that info for some purpose -- even if only to
know when to change the channel -- it becomes knowledge to us.

sure, we can share our knowledge with others and they'll
construct a conceptual model that -- depending on their
understanding of our syntax -- will mimic our own. whether you
use "construct" or "extract" to describe it is insignificant.

until we do share it with others, the knowledge is something we
have gained and they have not.

"knowledge" is about as abstract as you can get.  quibbling over
whether your knowledge-gaining process should be called
"generation" or "derivation" is semantics only, and doesn't
change the fact that it was you who gained it.

I am a Christian in the sense that I have been baptized, and have learned some of the teachings. It is the belief of many Christians that there is an 'omniscient' creator. Omniscient means that He knows everything, or, if he doesn't know it, its not really 'knowledge'. And, as a consequence, all real knowledge exists outside of time. Although, I do not personally hold to this view, one should be aware of its existence and cultural history.

Also, there really is some 'scientific' legitimacy to this view. Suppose, all human life were to perish. In that case would the value of pi (3.14...) perish as well? (Oh, yes. Pi is data, not knowledge. But is that really an answer?)

Paul