Re: shuttle disaster

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 16:30:57 -0500,
sean finney wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 07:56:04AM +1100, David Pastern wrote:

> > My deepest commiserations to the US, NASA and all families
> > involved over the space shuttle Columbia tragedy.  I believe
> > that they were using Debian GNU Linux for the first time
> > onboard the shuttle :-(
>
> i've been watching the live feed online most of the
> day... tragic for so many reasons, really.  are you serious
> about debian on the shuttle?  where could i find out more about
> that?

Debian was used long ago:

http://www.debian.org/News/1997/shuttle1

The slashdot post was about Redhat in space. I doubt if it was
actually on board the shuttle in question. But that is neither
here nor there. I feel sad. The tragic loss aside, it also means
that the manned space program will be set back by another couple
of years. We're now farther away from 2001 than Arthur C. Clarke
and Stanley Kubrick was in 1968.