Re: Debian and Dell/Gateway

* Sebastian Canagaratna <s-canagaratna@onu.edu> [04-02-2003 03:24]:
> Hi: I am thinking of buying either a Dell or Gateway Computer.
> This is to be used with Debian testing or unstable. I am
> particularly worried about hardware incompatibilities, in
> particular integrated graphics, sound etc. I could not find much
> with a search on google. I would appreciate comments from those
> who have used these, in particular:

It's very difficult to make broad statements about either. It really
depends on what hardware is inside the case.

If you pick a model, take the spec sheet and then use Google or
linuxcompatible[1] you should be able to find out.

I have used a secondhand Dell to install Linux and OpenBSD.
Because of the very detailed Dell support site  I was able to
find all information I needed quickly before I bought the system,
and was pleasantly surprised how well it worked.

In general I build my own systems and advise people to do the same
or have someone build a system for them based on needs and
preferences. Especially, if you won't use any of the software that
is part of the deal (Windows, Word, etc). If you do want to use the
software, be very well informed of how system-recovery for that
particular model works. It's non uncommon to lose everything on the
first harddrive when you need to use the recovery cd.

Bob

[1]http://www.linuxcompatible.org