RE: Debian and Dell/Gateway

From: Sebastian Canagaratna,Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 9:22 PM

> Hi:

>  I am thinking of buying either a Dell or Gateway Computer.
>     This is to be used with Debian testing or unstable. I am
>     particularly worried about hardware incompatibilities,
>     in particular integrated graphics, sound etc. I could not find
>     much with a search on google. I would appreciate comments
> from those    who have used these, in particular:
>
>     Is there any problem with installing XFree86 (I would like to have
>     OpenGL),
>     Any problem with the drivers for DVDHi: I am thinking of buying
>     either a Dell or Gateway Computer.
>         This is to be used with Debian testing or unstable. I am
> 	particularly worried about hardware incompatibilities,
> 	in particular integrated graphics, sound etc.
> 	I would appreciate comments from those who have used these, in
> 	particular:
>
> 	Is there any problem with installing XFree86 (I would like to
> 	have OpenGL),
> 	Any problem with the drivers for DVD
>
> 	Thanks.

Although Dell and Gateway are common machines, and many, many people
run Linux on them with no difficulty, I'd like to suggest Compaq, instead.
Why?
Compaq and HP are now one firm.

Internally, HP developers who develop with Linux develop with __Debian__.

I'm not trying to suggest that Compaq will have a technical support line for
you if you install Debian, but, if all their linux developers develop with
Debian, you can be darn sure that the hardware will work.