what are kernel-headers?

this is only sort of in the same thread as my last post.  I've learned
from another list that I can supposedly recompile the relevant nvidia
packages against "the kernel headers" instead of the kernel source.
Now, I've been trying for a while to figure out what 'kernel headers'
are.  none of my linux books really says much about it, nor do I
understand what I've read so far on the linux documentation project.
What kind of informmation do the headers have?  and how would I use
them to compile a module package?

thank you thank you thank you!
matt