Re: *.wma

DvB wrote:

"Sergey A. Ovchar" <ovserg@kah.hs.ukrtel.net> writes:

Hi.
Can anyone help me about encoding from subject format to cdr, mp3 or wav for recording it to the CD's.

And how can I play the *.wma's using XMMS ?

.wma stands for "Windows Media Audio" which is a proprietary format
developed by Microsoft and, hence, cannot be played or decoded on
Linux. At least I think they can't be played, uless maybe realplayer has
this capability (which I don't think it does).

You might try searching the internet for "xmms windwos media codec" or
somesuch, but I doubt you'll be very successful.

Any self respecting slashdot reader will remember this article [1] which announced ffmpeg's [2] groundbreaking wma decoder. I'm not sure if any work has gone into integrating this into xmms, but atleast you know it exists.

[1] - http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/10/28/1331251&mode=thread
[2] - http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/

--Mark