Re: X whacking monitor

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:51:53PM -0500, Mike M wrote:
[snip]
> This is also known as the Trident 9880 chip.  It is on a Jaton 107AGP card.
[snip]
> I might be swapping out the Trident video cards for something else if the
> problems persist.
> Mike M.

Mike -

I think the prevailing wisdom when I enquired about this chip was "get
another card"!  It's a joke of a chip, with the only advantages being
hardware functions that aren't (yet) available in linux.  Something
like video units or 3d something-or-others that are just dead silicon
under linux.

Yes, it works.  Just not very well.

If it wasn't soldered onto the d*mn motherboard, I'd have it straight
out of there.  If you have the option, because it's on a card, just
dump it and get something decent.

As far as I recall, it was being touted for mobile use because of
integrated video stuff and low power - not differentiators that you're
/really/ looking for in a desktop system, so $DEITY only knows why
it's on my mobo!  Grr.

-- jc