Re: X whacking monitor

On Monday 03 February 2003 17:30, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:51:53PM -0500, Mike M wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > This is also known as the Trident 9880 chip.  It is on a Jaton 107AGP
> > card.
>
> [snip]
>
> > I might be swapping out the Trident video cards for something else if the
> > problems persist.
> > Mike M.
>
> Mike -
>
> I think the prevailing wisdom when I enquired about this chip was "get
> another card"!  It's a joke of a chip, with the only advantages being
> hardware functions that aren't (yet) available in linux.  Something
> like video units or 3d something-or-others that are just dead silicon
> under linux.

I saw on the XFree86 list the the 3D acelerator is not working yet on the
chip.  Evidently this is important to gamers.  I also saw someone mention
that X 3 and X 4.2  works better with the card than X 4.1

> Yes, it works.  Just not very well.

Describes my experience.  I am using X 4.1.

> If it wasn't soldered onto the d*mn motherboard, I'd have it straight
> out of there.  If you have the option, because it's on a card, just
> dump it and get something decent.

Yup.  Not looking forward to changing X or a video card.  Changing the card
seems to more prudent move, especially since it's been labeled as a "joke".

I did remove the DPMS option from XF85Config-4.  I found some hints this
could stabilize things.

> As far as I recall, it was being touted for mobile use because of
> integrated video stuff and low power - not differentiators that you're
> /really/ looking for in a desktop system, so $DEITY only knows why
> it's on my mobo!  Grr.

I wonder if it can be disabled in the BIOS and then use a PCI card?  Is there
an AGP slot?  I was able to override a mobo NIC with a PCI NIC once.
--
Mike M.