Re: X whacking monitor

On Sunday 02 February 2003 22:42, Paul M Foster wrote:
> I've got a "Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1" video chip (according to
> pci -v) on the motherboard of my PC. I don't know if this has anything
> to do with the problem, but...
>
> In running X Window version 4, when I go into X from the console, all
> is fine. I can then get back out to a console. But when I go back into X
> from the console (after _any_ amount of time), the screen is blank, and
> after a second or two, the monitor loses its signal from the PC (it's
> one of those monitors whose LEDs blink when it has no signal). Moving
> the mouse or hitting a key does not solve the problem. I can
> Ctrl-Alt-BackSp and get out of X.
>
> However, this problem disappears when running version 3 of X Window
> (XF86_SVGA server). Anyone run into this and know why it happens?

I've got a similar video card (ouput from lspci):

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems Blade 3D PCI/AGP (rev
3a)

This is also known as the Trident 9880 chip.  It is on a Jaton 107AGP card.

xfree86.org lists the Blade 3D as being supported in X ver 3 and 4

blade 3d is identified in /var/log/XFree86.0.log:
(II) TRIDENT: driver for Trident chipsets: tvga8900d, cyber9320, cyber9388,
        cyber9397, cyber9397dvd, cyber9520, cyber9525dvd, cyberblade/e4,
        tgui9420dgi, tgui9440agi, tgui9660, tgui9680, providia9682,
        providia9685, cyber9382, cyber9385, 3dimage975, 3dimage985, blade3d,
        cyberbladei7, cyberbladei7d, cyberbladei1, cyberbladei1d,
        cyberbladeAi1, cyberbladeAi1d, cyberbladeXP, cyberbladeXPm

I'm having a variety of problems:
-sometimes when I log out of KDE and I expect to go back to KDM I get the
same conditions you describe above
-sometimes, for no apparent reason, the machine locks up and no longer
responds to the mouse, the keboard, and the network

I have been swapping the monitor cable around without shutting down X and
it's been suggested that this is not a good thing.  I am suspending this
practice and watching to see if I have any more problems.

Googling on "trident xfree86" and "xfree86 trident 9880" turned up a list of
related problems in various distros.
http://fslc.usu.edu/news/item.tcl?news_id=62
http://www.spinics.net/lists/xf-xpert/msg06297.html
http://linux.rice.edu/pipermail/rlug-discuss/2001-February/001505.html
http://xfree86.desiato.de/xfree86/pipermail/xpert/2001-December/013599.html

I might be swapping out the Trident video cards for something else if the
problems persist.
--
Mike M.