RE: Migrate from RedHat to Debian

I like Mandrake, its not too simplified, its a bitch when you want to add extra partitions, and diskdrakes a bitch.

-- DM.

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 03:36:25 +1100 bob parker <bob_parker@dodo.com.au> wrote:
--- Begin Message ---
On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 02:23, Gary Turner wrote:
> Jimbo De La Fuente wrote:
> >Hi List,
> >
> >I've been using RedHat for a couple of years. Now, as a result of their
> >change in EOL (only untill the end of year for the latest release RedHat
> >8.0) I want to switch to another distro. My preference goes to Debian. I
> > do have some doubts before really switching.

I migrated from Mandrake, another rpm based distro.

I completely trashed my Mandrake setup by trying to install debian Woody from
some cdr's burnt by some idiot that did not bother checking MD5 sums etc.

To stay on line I installed Debian 2.0r2 and had some fun at command line
while I was waiting for my 3.0r0 cds in the mail.

So finally I installed 3.0 - since then every Sunday night I apt-get update,
followed by apt-get upgrade just to keep my system up with the latest
security issues

It just works, no reboot needed, and thus far, just nothing goes wrong.

For support - this user list. I never paid for access to support for Mandrake
because I never bought a boxed set, always used the d/l versions. However my
son has paid for online support and he reckons it's worth nothing.

My experience with this list is that the responses are rapid, mostly very
cluefull, and pretty much what you need to live happily with Debian. And that
includes responses to questions about particular packages, not directly
Debian related.

Two things - get your cds from a good supplier, and read the docs about
installation first up. The first install is more demanding on Debian than the
commercial distros.

I'm not going to knock Mandrake, it did get me weaned off Microsoft, but I
would never go back to it from Debian now.

HTH

Bob