Re: Migrate from RedHat to Debian

Jimbo De La Fuente wrote:

>Hi List,
>
>I've been using RedHat for a couple of years. Now, as a result of their
>change in EOL (only untill the end of year for the latest release RedHat
>8.0) I want to switch to another distro. My preference goes to Debian. I do
>have some doubts before really switching.

<snip>

>What are the experiences other people have with migrating from RedHat to
>Debian. Are there any other options as a distro (I'm looking for a distro
>with security written in bold)?

Not quite what you asked for, I started as a rank (as in French cheese)
beginner in Linux.  My only knowledge of Red Hat and other RPM based
distros comes from app support mailing lists.

I can only thank whatever gods there are that I avoided that particular
bit of Hell.  Debian's package management system, coupled with a sane
and adhered-to policy of how things should work, simply leaves me
feeling sorry for the other guys.

Security?  I guess that depends on you and your requirements.  It is
nice to know that with debs, it is so very easy to install *only* those
services you need.  In addition, in the stable flavor, security upgrades
are back-ported, minimizing potential breakage.  If security is
critical, I'm guessing this is a server.  If so, Woody is the way to go
anyway.

Secure, dependable, and maintainable---sounds like a plan.

--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---