Re: Why is my parallel port busy? [SOLVED]

On 31 January 2003 at 12:45,
"nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:

> the default setup I think doesn't enable an IRQ for the parallel port
> which can cause problems on some systems, for 2.2.x kernels theres an
> entry in /proc/parport/0/irq which you can set the irq, e.g.
> echo 7 >/proc/parport/0/irq (7 is often used for that port).
>
> for 2.4.x kernels last I checked it's a module option, something like
> modprobe lp irq=7 (not sure if thats the right driver name), and am
> not sure if you can set this from the kernel command line.

Well, thankfully the solution was much easier than all of that. :-) I
had ben using my printer for nearly 6 months, so I was highly dubious
that the problem was at the kernel level.The deal was I had some kind of
zombied print process that showed up under a "ps aux | grep root".  The
entry was something like "parallel: /dev/lp0 <filename>".

All I had to do was kill -9 that job and the rest of the print queue
was fine.

Thanks.

Stephen W. Juranich                         sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering         http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic