Re: X whacking monitor

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 10:42:36PM -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:
> I've got a "Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1" video chip (according to
> pci -v) on the motherboard of my PC. I don't know if this has anything
> to do with the problem, but...
>
> In running X Window version 4, when I go into X from the console, all
> is fine. I can then get back out to a console. But when I go back into X
> from the console (after _any_ amount of time), the screen is blank, and
> after a second or two, the monitor loses its signal from the PC (it's
> one of those monitors whose LEDs blink when it has no signal). Moving
> the mouse or hitting a key does not solve the problem. I can
> Ctrl-Alt-BackSp and get out of X.
>
> However, this problem disappears when running version 3 of X Window
> (XF86_SVGA server). Anyone run into this and know why it happens?

Paul -

I'm guessing that you're running stable, which has X4.1 in it.

With my Cyberblade, I found that this problem occurred when running
4.1, but /not/ with 3.X, or when I moved to 4.2.  It's an issue with
the support for the Cyberblade/whatever - it Just Happens under 4.1.

So the short answer is upgrade (somehow!) to X4.2.
Well, it worked for me - YMMV.

-- jc