best way to disable journaling on ext3?

Short story:

I suspect ext3 of possible causing crashes and would like to know the best
way to disable as much of it as possible without reformatting my disk.

Longer story:

I recently got a new 80G ATA disk, and cloned my debian install onto an
ext3 journaled file system on it.  Now some programs that move lots of
data seg fault sometimes, causing subsequent ls to hang or my machine to
lock up completely.  I think the kernel may be needing to do  special work
to compensate for my bios not knowing about really big drives, because
older kernels didn't see the whole of even my 40G drive, and my bios
giives me an update ESCD successful (or something like that) on every
bootup.

Britton Kerin
__
GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."