Re: Error with dpkg...???

Larry Shields wrote:
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but here's what I am now getting when I use synaptic to install a package...
/var/lib/dpkg/status near line 2873 package wine-utils missing version...

According to synaptic of installed packages, I do not have 'wine-utils' installed, but at one time I know that I did, so it must have been removed when I install some other package...

Does anyone on the list know how I can correct the problem, so that I can install wine-utils, or for that matter any other program, for with this error, I can not install any new packages...

Thanks for any help anyone can offer...

Larry/WD9ESU

If you no longer are using WINE, and/or it has been removed previously you still might have some config files lurking around that is causing the problem. Just removing a package will not remove config files. Try a "dpkg --purge wine-utils" at a root command prompt, and see what happens... It might tell you about some directories that it tries to remove but are not empty. Inspect those and manually remove them if they don't contain anything you want. Once you get it out of the way, Synaptic should work OK.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-