RE: Building an IMAP server

I have used a combination of courier imap, vmailmgr, and qmail with great
results for performance and reliability.

All of these are easy to set up and will allow you your pop3 and imap
configurations.

I'm not sure about exim with maildir.  I'm not a great fan of exim for
anything more than simple configurations, but that is only personal
preference and a bit of hacking of qmail code.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to create user accounts on the machine
itself.  It seems a bit of a security nightmare to me.  Vmailmgr allows you
virtual accounts sitting under a domain master account.  This will allow
your machine to be secure and you to have control over access passwords.

I'm not sure how you enforce on your users saving mail on the server.  I
think the MUA normally only does what the user requests it do - if you have
a client set up wrongly, it could probably still delete mail from the
server.

For backups, I would suggest looking at systemimager.  This will back up
your server as well as the emails and so will also allow you to easily
create an exact copy of your mailserver should something bad happen.

I hope this info is of some use.

Regards,

Colin Ellis
Solution City Ltd.