Re: Building an IMAP server

[OP]

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 02:07:41PM -0000, Colin Ellis wrote:
> I'm not sure why you feel the need to create user accounts on the machine
> itself.  It seems a bit of a security nightmare to me.  Vmailmgr allows you
> virtual accounts sitting under a domain master account.  This will allow
> your machine to be secure and you to have control over access passwords.

smtp mail users don't need to be real users; you can (in theory
-- i'm still working on it) have exim pull authentican info from
sources other than /etc/passwd (which is the user-definition
file on *nix systems).

but if you're going to have some that are both shell users and
smtp senders, separate-authentication files could get hairy. not
sure which approach would be best.

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #38 from Alvin Oga <aoga@Mail.Linux-Consulting.com>
:
Curious about your NETWORK TRAFFIC? There's a whole bunch of
ways to monitor it: iptraf, showtraf, netwatch, tcpview, statnet,
or even
	tcpdump | grep 'what you want to see'
	lsof -i | grep 'LISTEN'
For network statistics try "mrtg". See the ethernet section
over at http://www.Linux-Sec.net/