Re: Building an IMAP server

also sprach Hans Wilmer <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> [2003.02.01.1408 +0100]:
> Currently I'm trying to figure out what software to use best to set up
> an IMAP server for the company I'm working at. I'll be using Debian
> Woody for the server, and the following requirements and suppositions
> are given:

courier-imap fulfills all those requirements.

> + about 60--100 users

easy.

> + Mail must be saved on the server, not on the clients.

IMAP standard.

> + Users should be able to create folders and subfolders to store their
>   mail.

most every IMAP server i know can handle this. surely courier

> + Mailboxes are mostly accessed via a webmail client. The webserver
>   may run either on the same server or on another maschine.

so?

> + Exim should be used as MTA; amavis and spamassassin should be used.
>   Mail filtering by .forward files and eventually maildrop should be
>   possible; probably assisted/done by the admin (vacancy,
>   redirections, maybe automatic sorting into folders).

that's totally irrelevant when looking for an IMAP server. all this is
possible.

> + Users may be real users on the server. --- Are there good reasons
>   against this?

security? a user is *much* more dangerous to any system than a remote
hacker.

> + The server needs to be backed up daily. In case some user manages
>   to accidentially delete his mail, I'll have to recover from the
>   backup. This leads to:
>
> + Mail should be stored in maildir format (in users' home
>   directories). The server will use ext3fs.

be careful on putting the spool directory on a journalled filesystem.
for reference:

  http://www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb/postfix/ext3.shtml

> + Each user should have about 1 GB to store his mails. This will
>   probably be enforced by setting filesystem quotas. Are there
>   better solutions to set maildir quotas? Users should be informed
>   automatically in case they reach their quota limitation; the admin
>   should get a note, too.

linux standard quotatool does that.

> + Some/most users will store quite a lot of mail (in the sense of the
>   amount of data, not the number of mails). This should not
>   impact performance too much. (leads to using maildir, again)

courier is rather performant if the underlying system works too.

> + It would be nice to have POP3 working, too.

courier-pop.

both, pop and imap, also come with ssl versions.

> + To make things easy, I'd like to stay with software from standard
>   Debian packages, but that's not a must.

courier-imap
courier-imap-ssl
courier-pop
courier-pop-ssl

> Courier would do maildir, but it is an MTA in itselfe.

only if you install courier-mta. i don't have that, i use postfix.

> It might be possible or even a good idea to only use the imap server
> of courier. But I don't know how nicely or if at all it suffices the
> above needs. What would you suggest here?

100% yes.

> As of yet, the capabilities of uw-imapd are unknown to me. Does it
> support maildir?

i don't think so. it's also a uw-* product and thus by reputation not
as secure.

> How do I improve secure operation and reliability? For example, while
> backing up the server, mail might be delivered or sent
> nonetheless. And even with daily backups, when having to recover from
> a backup, the intermediate traffic would be lost.

so disable the delivery directory while backing up. i don't think this
is something you should worry about. if your MTA does proper locking,
it's all well.

> Since the costs are a critical issue, the server will have IDE disks
> and probably no hardware RAID. Does IDE RAID work at all? Does it
> make sense to use lvm to mirror the data to a second disk (instead)?
> (I havn't used lvm yet, but I think mirroring is possible?)

it makes sense to set up a RAID 1 or 5 software raid for performance
reasons. oh, and make sure to use 7200 RPM disks at least.

> (On the long run, there should be a second server to accept mail from
> the outside world as a fallback in case the 'real' server is down. It
> should keep the incoming mail in its queue to deliver it to the real
> server when it comes back online.)

that is kind of a necessity.

--
Please do not CC me when replying to lists that I read!

`. `'`

NOTE: The pgp.net keyservers and their mirrors are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc