Re: Root partition stuck in read-only mode.

Thanks for your help.  This solved the immediate problem ...

Quoting Nathan E Norman <nnorman@incanus.net>:

> [ ... ]
>
> 1) You cannot remount / because other filesystems are mounted on it
> (I
> surmise this because you don't mention /usr or /home).
>
> 2) / is readonly either because you provided no options at all, or
> there are errors.
>
> Here's what I would do:
>
> 1) unb0rk your /etc/fstab.  the "errors=remount-ro" needs to be
> there.

It's now unbOrk-able, because I can't alter it.  It's on a read-only
file system.

But even so, I decided to continue ...

> 2) reboot.  pause lilo or grub and boot with "linux emergency"
> (replace
> linux with the label of your default image)
>
> 3) enter the root passwd when prompted.
>
> 4) run "fsck /dev/sda2"

I performed steps 2, 3, and 4, and even though I was on a
read-only file system, I figured I'd see what happens with the
fsck.  When I ran it, it came back right away and said that
/dev/sda2 is clean.

But hope springs eternal, so I'm continuing ...

> 5) run "mount -n -w -o remount /dev/sda2 /"

Now, it worked!  I now have a proper writable filesystem,
and so I unbOrked /dev/fstab.

> 6) type "exit"

Did it ... and now, my system booted up just fine.

So ... now that things are sort of back to normal, my question
is this:  what caused the filesystem to become read-only to
begin with?  Could it be hardware errors?  The fact that the
fsck found no errors seems to point to this as a possible cause,
correct?

At any rate, thanks again!

--
 Lloyd Zusman