Re: Root partition stuck in read-only mode.

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 08:13:03PM -0500, Lloyd Zusman wrote:

[ snip ]

> The problem is that yesterday, my root file partition started booting
> up read-only.  Because /var and /tmp are on that partition, my system
> is virtually useless.

[ snip ]

> A while ago, I had changed my /etc/fstab by commenting out and
> replacing my root partition mount, as follows:
>
>   #/dev/sda2   /      ext3   errors=remount-ro     0 1
>   /dev/sda2    /      ext3                         0 1
>
> Since the "errors=remount-ro" line is commented out, I don't
> see how this could be causing my problem ... or could it?

1) You cannot remount / because other filesystems are mounted on it (I
surmise this because you don't mention /usr or /home).

2) / is readonly either because you provided no options at all, or
there are errors.

Here's what I would do:

1) unb0rk your /etc/fstab.  the "errors=remount-ro" needs to be there.

2) reboot.  pause lilo or grub and boot with "linux emergency" (replace
linux with the label of your default image)

3) enter the root passwd when prompted.

4) run "fsck /dev/sda2"

5) run "mount -n -w -o remount /dev/sda2 /"

6) type "exit"

  Warning: dates in calendar are closer than they appear.