i2c and lm_sensors

I am trying to get im_sensors running on my debian box, but I am getting
some opposition.  First of all, I do have my kernel source, and it is
symlinked to /usr/src/linux.  but for some reason when I go to where i2c
installed from apt get /usr/src/modules/i2c (or something to that
effect) and then run make all I get the following error.
Makefile:175: kernel/i2c-philips-par.d: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target
`/usr/local/include/linux/modversions.h', needed by
`kernel/i2c-pcf-epp.d'.  Stop.
does anyone know how I can remedy this?

Thanks in advace as always,
Jason Self