SOLVED: RAM upgrade ignored or kernel panic arises on Thinkpad T22

I just:

1) updated the BIOS, from IBM site
2) re-did the ram installation

Maybe only one of the above was necessary, but in any case it seems
that Linux was not really at fault...maybe the problem was also
affecting XP, and I wasn't careful checking...I don't really use XP
that much...although I did to update the BIOS because the IBM BIOS
automated lookup only works for MS OS's, and the updater is an .exe
program.

lilo.conf did *not* need to be modified.

Anyhow, thanks everyone!--Virgil