Re: Root partition stuck in read-only mode.

I have some more info about my problem that might be useful.

I booted up off of disk 1 of my Woody installation CDROM set.
My root partition is /dev/sda2, so I entered the following at
the "boot:" prompt ...

  rescue root=/dev/sda2

However, this errored out quickly.  I got a couple screens'
worth of messages, of which I believe the final few lines are
significant:

  Partition check:
  apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.13)
  apm: disabled on user request
  request_module[block-major-8]: Root fs not mounted
  VFS: Cannot open root device 08:02

The system froze at this point.

Would this indicate a hardware problem?  Or is there still hope that
this can be fixed with software?

Thanks again to all of you, for all your help.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com