[OT] /lib/i686/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found

Dear all,

I know, somehow off topic, but a student I am supervising uses RedHat
-- for reasons I do not know.

Compiling iptables-1.2.7a locally on that box there results in a very
strange error message when trying to launch iptables afterwards:

  [root@localhost iptables-1.2.7a]# iptables
  iptables: /lib/i686/libc.so.6: \
  version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by iptables)

As I wrote, I have no idea why this can happen: I myself re-compiled
the whole iptables on that box already twice -- and searching the web
has not helped me further.  That's the reason I hope to dare ask here.

Thanks in advance for any help!

wbr,
Lukas
--