Re: Which version of X should I use?

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 08:32:06PM -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I'm re-installing Debian on a system.
>
> I tried this last month and ran into trouble with the video card (ATI Radeon
> All-In-Wonder).  It turns out the version of X in the current stable branch
> does not support my card well.  The previous version supported it and 4.2
> supports it.
>
> So am I better off going into testing and getting X 4.2,

Not unless you want to run testing.

> or going backward to
> 3.x (I can't remember the exact number of the last 3.x version)?

3.3.6 was yucky, compared to 4.x :)

> Also, what are the consequences of this when I'm installing other packages?
> Last time around I had some failures when I tried using apt-get to install
> some packages (I forgot the error message).  Does getting one (or a few)
> packages from testing cause problems with installing packages from stable
> later?

Yep, using packages from testing will cause problems.  Fortunately, a
kind soul has built 4.2 debs for woody.  I can't remember the exact URL,
and I'm offline now, but I think it was
http://people.debian.org/~blade/woody/.  Using these is a much better
idea than trying to get a newer version of X from testing.

-rob