Re: 384mb RAM installed but 57mb recognized at bootup..........huh ?

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 09:47:41AM -0500, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> Greetings !
>
> The motherboard specs say that pc100 ram should be used and I've
> installed pc133. Is this a problem ?
>
> Else, how can this be remedied ?
>
> BTW, I'm using LILO.
>
> Appreciatively,
> Courtney

Sometimes a dodgy RAM module makes the BIOS memory test simply stop
recognising memory above the dodgy address, rather than reporting an
error. Try taking all the DIMMs out, then put each one of them back on
its own, and see if that module is recognised at its full size or
something smaller (for some reason it won't necessarily be 57Mb).

PC133 vice PC100 is not normally a problem though as others have noted
there are some rare cases.

memtest86 might be a useful tool to run - you download it, make a boot
floppy with it and boot off that floppy, then go down the pub while it
churns through its tests. If you've told it to run ALL tests, make
that go on a bender. :-) I suspect it of taking exponential time so
it's quicker to test each DIMM separately rather than all three
together, though I am prepared to be corrected on this.

Pigeon