Re: UDMA 66

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 06:35:15AM -0800, Itsik Aviad wrote:
> Hi,
> I know how to enable DMA and I was successful in modifying
> the Kernel (2.4.18) such that it will allow me to do so. My
> problems are that I don't know how to make sure that it remains
> enabled once I restart (I have to re-enable it everytime
> manually). The other issue is...how do I enable UDMA
> or UDMA 66 for that matter?

Add "ide0=ata66" to your kernel boot params - I *think* this is
something like append "ide0=ata66" if you use lilo; I use LOADLIN, so
I'm not sure.

This should give you UDMA66 automatically every time you boot.

The "0" refers to the IDE port, not the drive, so "ide0" covers both
hda and hdb - I think.

The "66" gives you UDMA66; other UDMA speeds use non-obvious numbers
which I have not yet found a list of; I think 69 gives UDMA100, for
example.

Pigeon