Re: Slang for money [was: Re: Backup Consensus?]

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 10:56, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 10:08:29AM -0500, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> > A pound sterling is so-called because it was originally the value of a
> > pound of "sterling" silver.  sterling comes from Easterling which is what
> > German Hanseatic merchants were called during the middle ages.
>
> I need to read less fiction and more history; to me an easterling is
> someone from beyond the Sea of Rhûn :-)

Who wants to bet where JRRT got "easterling" from????

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Fear the Penguin!!"                                          |