Re: Migrate from RedHat to Debian

tallison writes:
> stable comes less than once a year from my limited experience.  But I
> think you can still get packages from some very old releases.  But I do
> not know if they are actually maintained for security updates and such (I
> suspect not).

Potato (the Stable release before Woody, the current Stable) is still being
maintained.

> If you insist on the very bleeding edge versions all the time, you
> probably won't find them in the stable version of deb-src files.

In most cases you can compile source packages from Unstable on Stable.  The
best security and stability is achieved by sticking with Stable, however.

> But Debian does things differently than many of the others.  The Debian
> Policy dictates that files be in certain places and be called certain
> things.

Generally because standards such as the FHS and POSIX say so.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org